The Tourism Council of Thailand has been in the news quite a lot of late and they continue to show that they are just as clueless as their office space mates – the Tourism Authority of Thailand.
See, the Tourism Council of Thailand told the local Thai tourism industry that 2015 would be unpredictable, but, then went ahead and made some really ridiculous predictions.
Despite Thai Tourism being down over 6% in 2014 (really more than 30% but more on that tomorrow), the Tourism Council of Thailand predicts that there will be 7.55 million foreign tourist arrivals during the first 3 months of 2015 and 28 million for the entire year. Absolutely ridiculous.
How did the Tourism Council of Thailand come up with such a rosy forecast? They are relying on a report from a local university:
However, the latest tourism confidence index from Chulalongkorn University shows that business has climbed back to a normal level thanks to the vibrant travelling environment during the New Year period.
There was NO vibrant travelling environment during the New Year. The only thing there was a bunch of accidents and road deaths. I am sure that Chula only looked at domestic travel too.
“China and European markets including Russia are key factors for growth this year. If arrivals from these countries plunge, tour operators and hotels will be in bad shape,” Ittirit said.
Bad shape it will be then.
Now, here is where there are problems. See, the Tourism Council of Thailand has the following road map for 2015:
- Develop a digital economy (whatever that means)
- Promote special interest tourism (halal food, beauty, health care, culture – same old shit)
- Improve human resources (the annual goal that apparently has never been accomplished
- Develop inter and intra regional tourism networks (whatever that means)
At the same time, the Minister of Tourism and Sports is pursuing the following:
- Construction of roads linking ASEAN countries
- Promote river and sea cruises on the Mekhong and Chao Phraya Rivers.
- Night tours to eat street food in Bangkok
And, the Tourism Authority of Thailand under the Discover Thainess 2015 is promoting the following seven:
- Thai way of life
Doesn’t look like anyone spoke to anyone else in preparing for the 2015 Thai Tourism season.
So, the Tourism Council of Thailand will continue to put out “news” that 2015 will be unpredictable and continue to make their silly predictions.
Related articles across the web
- Tourism Council Of Thailand As Clueless As TAT
- Minister Of Tourism And Sports: The Russians Aren’t Coming
- Burma’s tourism star on the rise as Thailand tries to bounce back
- Thailand begins impeachment hearings of ousted prime minister
- Bangkok Weather January
879 total views, 0 views today